project status

James Horey jhorey at cs.unm.edu
Wed Jul 6 04:55:22 CEST 2005

Hello everybody that will be reading this,

I realize this is a slightly early status report, but I'm going on vacation
for a few days and this is the best chance I'll get to write this. Also, this
particular status report is going to be on what I've been doing for the past
few weeks (about 2.5 weeks or so) instead of just last week. Now on to the
actual status...

During the first week I quickly learned Ruby and some various Qt programming
concepts. Once I had a handle on these tools, I wrote a simple GUI program
that launched and connected to KSpread via DCOP to control reading/writing to
cells and sheets. The DCOP interface is sufficient enough so that this code
will form a basis for the initial data communication.

The second week was mostly spent on getting serial communication in Ruby to
work with the sensor hardware (Mica2). I was able to get the Mica2's to
collect sensor data and transfer this data over serial. I wrote Ruby code to
convert the raw serial values into meaningful engineering values and
automatically display them in KSpread. I also wrote code to send
data/commands to the motes over serial. As of right now, I have reliable
two-way communication between the mote and PC.

Next week (or at least once I get back from vacation) will be mostly focused
on designing and writing a simple "query processor". This will be code that
will run on the sensor hardware that takes queries (objects produced by pivot
tables) and uses the query to collect and extract the correct data and
eventually produce a query response. I will initially write a simulated query
processor in Ruby for debugging purposes and then port it NesC to run on the
actual motes.

-James

--
James Horey