Koto: Progress Report... umm... #3?

Iain Dooley idoo4002 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Tue Aug 30 16:22:27 CEST 2005

hello kde SoCers,

Koto has been completed as far as SoC deliverables are concerned, and is
working quite nicely. you can load any .ui file and edit ruby code at
runtime to handle signal connections. i can't wait to release it so that
my fellow programmers can try it out, but there is one tiny barrier ...

the distribution of this thing is driving me seriously nuts! i read the
"Goat Book" this afternoon and felt as though i came out more confused
than when i went in. i've tried importing into KDevelop to use the
automake manager, but i couldn't get that to work either, so i tried
starting a new QMake project in KDevelop. i got it building from within
KDevelop, and found out how to use the "-l" flag to qmake in order to
use ld to link against .so files. also, the "smoke.h" header file is
included in the 'include' directory of any distribution that has smoke
installed.

the biggest problems now are ruby and qtruby libraries. there is
qtruby.h that i need to link to, but this is not included in the
'include' directory when qtruby is installed. qtruby.h, and
libqtrubyinternal.a are two files that i need to include and link
against respectively, but neither of them are actually supposed to be
used externally. is my only option here to include the entire qtruby
source in my project?

also, the ruby library directory does not appear to be in a standard
location. on my machine, the file i need is in:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-freebsd5

obviously this is not going to be the same for non-freebsd 5.x users!!
how can i possibly find out where this ruby lib directory is on someone
else's machine?

if anyone has any magical solutions or handy suggestions (for instance,
some brilliant command that just looks at my project and fixes
everything for me... ) then i would LOVE to hear about it.

otherwise, pray for me ...

cheers

iain