Which branch should I keep up with ?

Reinhold Kainhofer reinhold at kainhofer.com
Wed Aug 3 11:14:48 CEST 2005

Am Mittwoch, 3. August 2005 03:28 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> Kun Xi wrote:
> >Hello mentors,
> >
> >It seems like the soc-kde-scripting would not be added to KDE 3.5, so
> >it is supposed to be released on KDE4. If I want to keep this branch
> > updated, should I merge the updates in trunck ?

I would say that we should add the scripting to the feature plan. The SoC
prooject has a firm deadline, so by then we are supposed to have something
working, which is much more than we can say about all the other features!
If it doesn't work out to be completely finished until the deadline (or we
encounter unforeseen problems), we can always not include it.

Unfortunately, both kde 3.5 and the SoC have quite a tight time frame, so it's
hard to judge whether it's really possible to include the scripting in kdepim
without too many (security and other) problems.

But let's at least leave that option open for now.

> >Since trunk is the candidate for KDE4, does that mean I have to install
> > Qt4 and kdelibs SVN version, or the trunk is backward compatible to
> > kdelibs-3.4.1 and Qt 3?
>
> I'd say keep on working with what you have already. You can figure out how
> to port to KDE 4 / Qt4 in the future, after the project has ended.

Yes, all pim development is done in the 3.5 branch anyway. Only after 3.5 is
more or less ready, will we start the porting to 4.0 (at aKademy). Of course,
we should merge in your branch either before or during porting...  But that's
not supposed to be part of your project for the deadline, but it would be
cool if you continued after the SoC project is over!

Cheers,
Reinhold

Reinhold Kainhofer, Vienna, Austria
email: reinhold at kainhofer.com, http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/