[Kde-silk] Re: Share "Web services" code using KJob's

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jan 11 18:55:54 CET 2011

On Saturday, January 8, 2011, Alex Fiestas wrote:
> By doing this code organization, we can share code between applications
> in an easy way, for example, if we had all KJob-ified right now, we
> would be able to unify and use other's implementations:

in libplasma we have the idea of Service. this is indeed KJob based but adds a
few "nice things" to it to unify a set of procedure calls into the idea of a
Service. it is re-usable (supports plugins, for instance), Plasma::DataEngine
integrates with it as well and we even use it for things like communicating
between DataEngines P2P style over the network.

a Plasma::Service also supports using a KConfigXt file to define the service,
which automatically gives us a bunch of metadata and could even allow for
datatype checking (e.g. correct types, min/max on numbers, etc) though that
hasn't been implemented yet.

custom Services do not need to use a KConfigXt file on disk, though
Plasma::Service is based around defining the services using that XML format.

i'd be interested in making Plasma::Service work with what you come up with or
even using Plasma::Service as the basis for your work, extending and improving
it as needed.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se