[Kde-silk] Introducing Project Silk

Fabrizio Montesi famontesi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 15:27:18 CEST 2009

On Saturday 19 September 2009 01:02:03 Michael Leupold wrote:
> I've recently been working on an library providing a single API for using
> several RPC protocols. It was designed with QtDBus in mind and currently
> provides XML-RPC and (simple) JSON-RPC (using QJson).
>
> The code can currently be found at:
> http://code.confuego.org/index.php/p/qrpc/
>
> Unfortunately it still lacks documentation (apart from apidox and
>  unit-tests) and hasn't experienced any real-world testing yet. It's also
>  unreleased as of yet.
>
> Apart from that the tests I have been conducting worked and there's even a
> simple generator for stubs/interfaces from some XML service description
> (unfortunately not WSDL as I wasn't all that interested in implementing my
>  own XMLSchema parser :-)).
>
> Could this be of interest for silk (or maybe parts of it)? Are there any
>  other plans for communication protocols yet?

It may interest you that a similar feature is targeted by the QtJolie + Jolie
language framework. (Qt)Jolie offers a generic API for data manipulation that
is used for handling received messages or compose new ones to be sent,
independently from the protocol that one uses. QtJolie has been initially
developed for use in the Plasma project for the Remote Widgets thing, but one
could add new features to it such as the automatic generation of C++ data and
service types.

See:
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdelibs/plasma/private/qtjolie-branch/
http://www.jolie-lang.org/