[Kde-silk] [Draft] Video Providers DataEngine

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Oct 15 16:15:25 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 13 October 2009 00:03:27 Alessandro Diaferia wrote:

> > Alright, I've tried it and it basically works. :-)
> >
> > From reading through the code, is my assumption correct that the engine
> > searches in
> > one service at a time?
>
> right but that's going to change if we want generic queries :)
> I should probably load all the available providers at the beginning in
>  order to query them all at each source request.
>
> > That might make sense, though I wonder if a generic query wouldn't be
> > more intuitive
> > to the user (the developer in this case). I wouldn't care a lot which
> > service a video
> > comes from, but on the other hand, it's easy enough to query for
> > providers and then
> > search through all providers. Not sure what's nicer though: prefixing the
> > query with,
> > for example youtube: is less intuitive, but this way, constraining the
> > search to one
> > provider is a lot easier.
>
> Well i was initially for allowing 2 kinds of query: one without specifying
> the service so basically just "query&constraints"
> and the second one like it acts now. From the mediacenter point of view a
> generic query is nice since the user will just interact with a browser
> widget that allows looking for videos hosted on the web. But at the same
> time he (the user) might want to look for a specific video from a specific
> provider. This is a hard point because from the silk point of view probably
> the specific service stuff should be completely hidden.

Well, not so sure about that. I indeed thought about the case where you want to
browse a specific service (this also makes it more attractive to be used by content
providers who want to build functionality around "their service"). I think being able
to specialize here makes sense (but the default / easiest way should probably be
"search in all providers".

Sorry for the delay btw. I've been travelling with spotty internet connection. Should
become better again now :-)
--
sebas