[Kde-silk] [Draft] Video Providers DataEngine

Alessandro Diaferia alediaferia at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 00:03:27 CEST 2009

2009/10/12 Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org>

> On Sunday 11 October 2009 12:53:26 Alessandro Diaferia wrote:
> > > I'll give it a try later tonight, on a train right now :)
>
> Alright, I've tried it and it basically works. :-)
>
> From reading through the code, is my assumption correct that the engine
> searches in
> one service at a time?

right but that's going to change if we want generic queries :)
I should probably load all the available providers at the beginning in order
to query them all at each source request.

> That might make sense, though I wonder if a generic query wouldn't be more
> intuitive
> to the user (the developer in this case). I wouldn't care a lot which
> service a video
> comes from, but on the other hand, it's easy enough to query for providers
> and then
> search through all providers. Not sure what's nicer though: prefixing the
> query with,
> for example youtube: is less intuitive, but this way, constraining the
> search to one
> provider is a lot easier.

Well i was initially for allowing 2 kinds of query: one without specifying
the service so basically just "query&constraints"
and the second one like it acts now. From the mediacenter point of view a
generic query is nice since the user will just interact with a browser
widget that allows looking for videos hosted on the web. But at the same
time he (the user) might want to look for a specific video from a specific
provider. This is a hard point because from the silk point of view probably
the specific service stuff should be completely hidden.

Do you have any specific thoughts on that? (I had to read
> the source code to find out how to use the engine, not so good.)

Sorry for that :p

> Otherwise, great work :)

Thanks! =)

--