[kde-services-devel] Fwd: If you want to throw a few openID related things at me.

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Wed Aug 1 08:46:28 CEST 2007

[...continuing at the services list...]

Oi,

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 03:11:16 D.J. Capelis wrote:
> So I should have mentioned...  I work for University of California,
> San Diego and part of my work includes identity management and
> authentication.

What's your role there - a sysadmin or a PhD student or something else?

[...pam_webform...]
> The cool part about all this is we're
> planning to try and detect user's cookie stores to push the cookies
> out into the browser as well.  This means that when we get this thing
> rolling, they'll be able to login, fire up their browser, add and drop
> classes, and use the OpenIDs provided by our openid server, all having
> entered their password only once.

Yep, that's exactly the design I've chosen for OpenDesktopID. You can find it
in playground/libs/webtech in KDE SVN. It might or might not produce good
results for you. In particular, I based it on KDE 3's kcookiejar which uses
DCOP, whereas in KDE 4 a D-Bus interface is available. At some point I gave
up its on D-Bus integration because all current D-Bus browsers suck :-)
But I didn't give up on the project, and I'm glad to hear that there are
similar concepts developed elsewhere.

We had a student thesis work going on here [I'm working at Dresden University
of Technology] about IDMs and how to integrate those into SOAs, and it did in
part consider Shibboleth. Ah, those great acronyms... but as long as it's
somehow "service-oriented" another thesis or course project might come out of
this. Where can I find more information about your system?

> I'm not sure what you mean by demo application... but if you folks
> need OpenID plugins/modules/patches developed for some off-the-shelf
> apps out there that don't have them, this is something I think I could
> help with as well since increasing the amount of OpenID apps generally
> is something we want to do over here anyways. :)

Yay.

> Maybe we can start a list of things that are looking for OpenID or PAM
> authentication mechanisms on techbase or somewhere?  Maybe there's a
> more appropriate location?

Techbase is very suitable for this. Especially since it's a topic where you
often go "oh, that app should have it"... and can quickly add it before it
gets forgotten.

> If perhaps I should be bothering the free desktop guys instead of you
> folks (I know there's some overlap...) then let me know.

Well, freedesktop.org is not often intended to be a desktop development
direction on its own. Rather, it is based on good ideas from the KDE, GNOME
and auxiliar camps. Implementing it for KDE, verifying it as a good thing and
then approaching freedesktop.org is a common process.

Josef