KDE4 slow

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Sat Jun 27 03:52:00 CEST 2009

On Friday 26 June 2009 07:54:54 Alex Hurs wrote:
> Hi,
> If your card is so old you can't even get drivers for it, I doubt you'd be
> able to use it with KDE 4 very well even if you were able to get the
> drivers.

Don't give up on the older cards yet.  Once the driver support catches up
you'll find that "simple" stuff like 2D compositing should be easily within
the capabilities of even older hardware.  And (in theory) it should be easier
to write drivers for older cards than newer ones.

The real problems come into play when you consider that many computers don't
have the AGP slots needed to use the well supported older cards like Radeon
R200/R300-series chipsets. (Radeon 8500-9700 IIRC).  Plain PCI cards may be OK
but then they'd take a speed penalty even with good drivers.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne