KDE4 slow

Kenjiro Tanaka jedi.kenjiro at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 03:24:59 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 10:12 PM, Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc at aliax.net> wrote:

> The fact is that dissabling composite (nvidia driver) the speed is really
> similar.
>
> So, do you think I need a better computer for KDE4? The fact is that I'll
> buy
> a new one :), but I really expected that 1 GB RAM and CPU 1600 MHz (dual
> core)
> was enough for "using" KDE4 with just a few apps open (Konqueror, Kopete,
> Kontact and Yakuake plus KDE4 core daemons).

Iñaki,

I have a netbook (very similar to MSI Wind U100): Atom 1.6GHz (32bits), 2GB
of RAM and an integrated Intel video card. I am running Slackware-current
(between 12.2 and 13.0) on it and KDE-4.2.4.

No, it doesn't run as fast as my Desktop computer (Quadcore Q6600 @2.4GHz,
8GB of RAM and a NVidia 9600GT), but it runs quite nicely, taking the kind
of hardware power I have on my netbook. Yes, I believe KDE3 would run faster
on it. But then... sometimes it is a matter of "personal taste". I like the
visual (and usability) of KDE4 more, so I have quit using KDE3 since KDE-4.0
was out :)

Oh, on my netbook I disabled the "desktop effects" in KDE4. That already
gives me a little boost in performance on the netbook. On the desktop I use
loads of FX ;)

Kenjiro