KDE4 slow

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Thu Jun 25 03:18:45 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 24 June 2009 21:12:23 Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> The fact is that dissabling composite (nvidia driver) the speed is really
> similar.
>
> So, do you think I need a better computer for KDE4? The fact is that I'll
> buy a new one :), but I really expected that 1 GB RAM and CPU 1600 MHz
> (dual core) was enough for "using" KDE4 with just a few apps open
> (Konqueror, Kopete, Kontact and Yakuake plus KDE4 core daemons).

You don't need a better computer, you need better video drivers.  KDE 4's
compositing support relies on features of graphics cards that are not often
used by games or other 3D software.  Therefore the driver support for these
features is generally poor.  Older mobile Intel chipset for laptops and such
work nicely in my experience.  In theory older Radeon cards are good as well
(r300 series or lower!)  I have a r500 card and the graphics work but
compositing is unbearably slow (and it wasn't better when I had nvidia
either).

In short, you just need to wait for the video driver support to catch up to
allow compositing to work smoothly.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne