KDE4 Multiple Monitor support

Shaun Reich predator106 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 16:09:13 CEST 2009

2009/8/21 Braden Mcdorman <bmcdorman at gmail.com>:
> Twinview works almost flawlessly for my different resolution monitors, but X
> itself seems to be
> the root of most of my problems If I have them. Supposedly the Nvidia
> drivers make some funky
> changes to the X.org config file. But I can have different panels on each
> monitor, etc.
>
> Thanks,
> Braden McDorman
>
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 11:28 PM, Ross Linder <info at tuxsoft.co.za> wrote:
>>
>> In KDE3 it is possible to use multiple monitors WITHOUT Xinerama, in this
>> mode both desktops look like complete sessions, each has its own pannel,
>> its own workspace manager, and importantly can run at different
>> resolutions.
>>
>> It would appear that this is impossible to achieve with KDE4. I think this
>> is a serious lack of feature.

Yeah, I just recently (yesterday) set up a dual head LCD desktop (with
nvidia), so I enabled Xinerama because it sounded good and.. well, it
was an extra option, so I figured I had might as well...

Needless to say, I was disappointed when I couldn't access my virtual
terminal well I could...but I could only see a black screen, but I
could log in and stuff(I knew because when I logged in, I could hear
my hard drive being used)..

I also found out that compositing wasn't working..

So in conclusion..I think the moral of the story is to not have
Xinerama enabled, because it seems to do the following:

(a) seems to do nothing for extra features or usefulness

(b) disables compositing permanently while Xinerama is enabled

(c) disables your ability to access virtual terminals

So yeah, I really don't see a reason for using it... I was under the
impression that it allowed dragging of windows between each separate X
session... but TwinView does the same exact thing... in fact, I can't
find any missing feature switching from Xinerama to TwinView, only
extra features (well..more like Twinview  having a lack of inability
to use features).

I recommend, as Braden said, to use TwinView, there is nothing to
lose, only to gain from what you lose with using Xinerama. The mouse
moves between them and everything, flawlessly...

Now I just have to figure out how to (if I can) get the virtual
terminals (via GRUB2) to display at a nice and high resolution... with
1600x900 for each monitor being the native (and current), 1280x1024
does not cut it for a virtual terminal, as it's huge...

It works absolutely beautifully for me, the only thing that I wish it
had, was Plasma to have the ability to copy plasmoids, but I will just
have to do it manually (I like the idea of 2 activities separate, but
don't like the idea that I have to do twice the work of setting up an
activity)

--
Innumerus Gratiae,
Shaun Reich