The buzz about KDE 4.0

Pablo Cholaky mrwaltercool at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 01:37:11 CEST 2008

2008/6/27, Kimberly Lazarski <kim at biyn.com>:
> KDE team: you might want to check out this thread: it touches on quite a
> few things I've been disappointed in when running KDE 4.0
>
> http://talkback.zdnet.com/5206-12554-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=49110
>
> KDE's growth may slow as a result of decisions made to dumb certain
> things down like gnome does. The whole reason I use KDE (3.x) rather
> than gnome is it doesn't cripple usability. I found KDE 4 (tried it a
> couple of months ago, I'm glad I image the HDD so I could easily roll
> back. God bless clonezilla!) to be a step backwards; stability was
> limited, and I hate, hate, HATE the fact that the default file manager
> (dolphin) is about as functional as gnome's nautilus. People in that
> thread accuse it of being as bad as Windows Explorer, but it has /less
> /functionality than Windows Explorer. Konqueror in 3.5.x is the /best
> /file manager I've ever had the pleasure of using (I like it so much I
> installed AndLinux on Windows workstations just so I could use konqueror
> and gain access to kio slaves like fish:// and ftp://)  - it is
> extremely capable and configurable. Also, I missed the desktop/folder
> metaphor. I put current and ongoing work on my desktop, and most other
> people I know (on Macs, Windows, and Linux) do the same. Taking that
> away was definitely a mistake. Does KDE4 still lack the
> desktop-as-a-folder metaphor?
>
> KDE has long been known for its flexibility, configurability, and power,
> and dumbing it down to be like gnome is a mistake. It seems that
> whenever KDE4 comes up in discussion (on a blog site, messageboard, /.,
> BBS, etc.) more people hate it than like it because of dolphin and
> because of the dumbing down of the desktop environment. PLEASE remember
> the modularity, configurability, and power KDE has given the users. If
> you must, dolphin and other apps can stay simple by default, but please
> make it possible for users to turn on power user options (such as an
> editable address bar, tabs, a built in terminal windows) people have
> depended on for so long. I know konqueror is still there, but with two
> separate file managers there will be temptation to not keep konqueror's
> way of doing things up to date, leaving only a very limited file manager.
>
> I'm going to give KDE 4.0 another shot next weekend - Although I keep
> going back to OpenSuSE and KDE for desktop machines, I periodically
> evaluate different distros and desktops, but my first experience with
> KDE4 was a disappointment.
>
> The reason for posting this email list is not to insult or flame anyone,
> so PLEASE do not take offense. It's intended to help encourage you to
> keep users in mind. I was originally going to post it to the kde-devel
> list but this is a more appropriate place.
>
> --Kim
>
> --
> Biyn logo 	Kimberly Lazarski
> Biyn Development * 193 Rockland Street * Hanover, MA 02339
> 781-826-2601 * www.biyndesigns.com

Kimberly: Im another KDE user, and i like a lot kde4.1 from svn, kde4.0 was bad.

Dolphin is a FILE MANAGER, a good difference between Konqueror... i
dont like konqueror like file manager, because tries to open all,
photos, html webs... etc, and i like open images with gwenview for
ex., or html webs with Opera sometimes...

Dolphin isnt forced to install it, you can skip it and install
konqueror and use it for file manager too :) You arent forced :)

And KDE4 isnt a clone... is very original, for ex. you havent a
desktop folder, you have plasma, so, goodbye lot of files in desktop,
you only will get widgets of your favorite apps and folders, doing it
more customizable and flexible :)

So... if you HATE dolphin, dont install it, or remove it :) You always
can install konqueror and set up for open folders, fish files, ftp...
etc :)

Post Data: In dolhpin you can write protocols, for ex. im using it
right now for ftp, you  need do right click in the direction tab and
click in edit, and you can read it like konqueror :)

--
Pablo