desktop problems

landon kelsey landonmkelsey at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 31 18:49:30 CEST 2008

I have the very latest F9 and KDE 4(shows elsewhere 3.5) via yum update

I will send KDE problems to KDE!

If I can differentiate...problem may be manifold

since day 1 and existing now

on boot

1-0:1.0 unable to enumerate USB device on hub # 2
1-0:1.0 unable to enumerate USB device on hub # 4
1-0:1.0 unable to enumerate USB device on hub # 2

problem :  computer hangs occasionally usually connected to popups from panel items.

Sometimes I can clear the hangup by hitting keys ctrl-alt...sometimes a powerdown is required

but usually I have to unplug/replug the flash memory drive.

I have a card that connects all USB 2.0 devices since my built-in USB is 1.1

Once upon a time NTFS and VFAT flash memory drives were mounted via entries in fstab.

Then they went auto.

Now I must open NTFS and VFAT flash memory drive via dolphin to mount them or else nothing will be able to see them!

When installing F9, I used gnome for a while and the icons for NTFS and VFAT flash memory drive

were at the upper left.

This is probably in the KDE realm.
__________________
definitely KDE realm:

I have been a faithful KDE guy for years! I recently had a problem with switchdesk no longer working!

The guys at bugzilla said switchdesk  no longer works (I haven't tried it again)

Seems I had to do surgery to get KDE as desktop.

 I had to enter KDE into a file I've forgotten where it was!

Problems:

(1) panel is a mess!
                 (a) no autohide
                 (b) always black
                 (c) clutter of icon remnants on the right

ksnapshot was changed (for the better???) so that sometimes it interacts with the CPU hangup (above)

almost requiring a power down!

Oh yes: I put an icon on the desktop at the upper left for Kaffeine (that doesn't work).

I've deleted the icon numerous times but it persists after boot.