Missing configurability in KDE4

Tuomas Nurmi iltunu at utu.fi
Thu Feb 21 09:42:25 CET 2008

On Thursday, 21. Februaryta 2008 08:26:12 Joshua J. Berry wrote:
> To the rest of your complaints, all I can say is: Suggest something better.

This is something I miss a lot, and is a major stopper for me personally to
migrate to KDE4:

1) Flexible panel configuration.

At the moment I have tuned my desktop so that I have no less than 6 panels,
none of them visible by default: I want my maximise my workpace at all time
while still having all the panels easily accessible.

Each of the panels becomes visible when the mouse cursor touches certain edge,
and they autohide as the mouse leaves the panel. Each of these extends
automatically to appropriate size:
K-menu: up-left
Task-bar: up-center
Frequently used apps: left-center
Frequently used graphic tools: left bottom
"Normal" panel (applets, system tools): bottom center
Clock: bottom right.

I like to keep up right clean, as the window buttons are there... This doesn't
seem to be possible with 4.0, or have I just missed something.

2) Why not make the startmenu a plasmoid? (I understand that it is not...) I
understand that this would allow several implementations. Make data-engines
for the usual things that are in menu (apps, recent docs, recent apps, icons
etc.) and allow the surface to have it's own logic and layout.

I hope the 4.1 becomes usable enough for my everyday use. The return of
KPrinter will be way cool :-)

So, where do I file a bug-reports? (Which components?) As a wish or as a
downgrade?

--
	Tuomas Nurmi
		- Vivere necesse est, navigare non est necesse -