[Fwd: [Fwd: Re: [kde-artists] NEWS flash from GNOME. :-D]]

JRT jrt256 at earthlink.net
Thu May 31 14:31:03 CEST 2007

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 31 May 2007, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>>> -------- Original Message -------- From: James Richard Tyrer
>>> <tyrerj at acm.org> From the spec:
>>>
>>> http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.h
>>>  tml
>>>
>>> "Even if there may be an icon with a size closer to the correct
>>> one in an inherited theme, we don't want to use it. Doing so may
>>> generate an inconsistant [sic] change in an icon when you change
>>> icon sizes (e.g. zoom in)."
>> Please, lets follow the spec for KDE 4.0.
>
> actually, we follow the icon spec closer in 4.0 that we did in 3.x,

Well why the hell don't you just follow it 100%?

> e.g. we've adapted to the naming conventions. if you follow the steps
> james lays out here (select oxygen, put 32px as the default, open the
> file manager) you will see oxygen icons contrary to what he's saying
> here.

Yes, although that is what I observed while experimenting with my icon
theme and with Tango, it appears that the bug has now been partially
fixed.  SVG icons will be resized although PNGs might not be.

> James has constructed a problem that doesn't exist in the real world
> and is trying with great effort and repeated attempts to pass it off
> as the end of the icon world. he's also taken the conversation
> completely out of context, which was originally about how "horrible"
> it was that GNOME is shipping icons for KDE applications. this is not
> the first time (far from it) that he's raised this non-issue under
> various guises, nor is it the first time the artists have tried to
> explain to him why things are the way they are.

No point in trying this BS on Boyd, he knows the bug just as well as I
do.  You should have read his posting more carefully before you snipped
it. :-D

Specifically, the icon search code goes to an inherited theme before it
resizes a PNG icon in the requested theme.  This doesn't conform to the
spec.

Specifically referring to his posting that you are answering:

> When multiple themes provide icon(s) for a particular role:
> (*) Minimize inconsistent style.
> ( ) Minimize scaling.

Current KDE code does "minimize scaling".  The standard requires
"minimize inconsistent style".  It really is that simple.

--
JRT