[OT] Re: kadressbook usability

Joseph M. Gaffney cucullin at wtfisthat.net
Wed Jan 31 22:55:46 CET 2007

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 04:43:51 pm Iñaki wrote:
> El Miércoles, 31 de Enero de 2007, Joseph M. Gaffney escribió:
> > > Akonadi is not related to Kmail interface, but related to the internal
> > > backend of PIM applications.
> > >
> > > Regards.
> >
> > *nod*, its the details I don't fully understand, not the purpose ;)
> >
> > Point being Akonadi is a storage service + control process.  Fast access
> > via IMAP, caching of PIM items, etc, etc.  There are virtual containers
> > in this storage interface, and the ability to easily extend applications
> > (not Akonadi, but the apps themselves) to take advantage of these
> > thoughts. Which, I do believe, they are intending on doing.  However, a
> > decent amount of work needs to go into this still, so it wouldn't be
> > visible just yet.
>
> Yes, ok, but that is not really related to usability in user interfaces.
>
> Akonady could be great, but if the KDE app for managing contacts forces the
> user to choose them one by one to add them to a category, then the
> usability issue still will exist. That is what I mean.
>
> Regards.

*nod* but until Akonadi is more feature-complete, we won't see any real
changes to the PIM apps.  And until those changes are being done, we won't
know if a usability issue does exist for the future version (since alot of
these issues are being discussed, Akonadi partially being needed for
a "better" solution).

Either way, that is one for the usability list.  Though I am still curious
about the "Integration problems" still...  Wladimir, if you could explain a
bit further, I would definitely appreciate it :)

-Joseph M. Gaffney