[OT] Re: kadressbook usability

Joseph M. Gaffney cucullin at wtfisthat.net
Wed Jan 31 22:33:32 CET 2007

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 04:16:52 pm Iñaki wrote:
> El Miércoles, 31 de Enero de 2007, Joseph M. Gaffney escribió:
> > > That thing about kadressbook categories is true, it is unusable, man
> > > can not handle whith that kind os categories, i can not put all my
> > > friends contacts to a category "Friends", it's just imposible. That
> > > MUST be changed. The contakt edit dialog is not difficult for me, but
> > > for some of my friends, and that simple dialog is just too simple:) i
> > > think.
> >
> > Akonadi is a new framework for KDE 4.  I couldn't explain the details
> > because, well, I don't fully understand it myself :)
>
> Akonadi is not related to Kmail interface, but related to the internal
> backend of PIM applications.
>
> Regards.

*nod*, its the details I don't fully understand, not the purpose ;)

Point being Akonadi is a storage service + control process.  Fast access via
IMAP, caching of PIM items, etc, etc.  There are virtual containers in this
storage interface, and the ability to easily extend applications (not
Akonadi, but the apps themselves) to take advantage of these thoughts.
Which, I do believe, they are intending on doing.  However, a decent amount
of work needs to go into this still, so it wouldn't be visible just yet.

-Joseph M. Gaffney