KDE OS

marco marinuzzo marco.marinuzzo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 11:53:45 CET 2007

I would like to thank everybody in the list for the answers given. Cris and
Kurt have well clarified what I'm talking about.
Obviously, I already tried all the suggestions posted here.
Many answers are like "Choose a well known distribution and stay with it"
but...let's see an example:

- If I was a Windows user in the year 2000 I still can have a Windows 2000
OS, still compatible with all the software around now.
- If I was a Red Hat user in the year 2000 (I have choosen a well known
distribution: the first in the world)...
  RH 6.2, RH 7.0, RH 7.1, RH 7.2, RH 7.3, RH 8, RH 9, RH EL 2, RH EL 3, RH
EL 4, Fedora 1, Fedora 2, Fedora 3, Fedora 4, Fedora 5, Fedora 6

and the other distros are not very different.

Why do I think that the only solution is KDE OS?
Because we are talking about the Desktop and not about servers. I know there
are 100000 flavours of Linux and KDE OS will be yet another one.
But KDE is "THE DESKTOP".
KDE can still remain platform independent and start a project for KDE OS.
Robert says it is difficult to maintain 15000 pieces of software but 1) A
Desktop-only project is not so wide 2) There are 100000 flavour of Linux
already done to start with. It's not a Linux from scratch program.

You can say "Why should an ISV choose KDE OS instead of the other 100000
flavours?" The answer is always the same: ISVs want a standard and the
standard is ready now: KDE.
We can start to put a Debian engine and a drag/drop OSX style installer. I
know it's not so easy, I said this only to semplify the view.
A drag and drop installer and binary compatibility will cause many duplicate
of some 100KB library? Is this a problem in the average 200 GB HD that every
desktop user owns? It was a problem at the early stage of Unix, not now!

I'm writing in KDE-quality because I think that package installing is the
first problem in a Desktop environment.
A Desktop means that an average user can use a computer. This is the goal of
KDE and its founder.