Better default toolbar setting

Stefan Monov logixoul at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 19:18:10 CEST 2006

> > I don't know, but couldn't be a solution if the future KDE guidelines
> > force the width of the icons in toolbars? In this way the developers and
> > translators will be forced to use short text.
> yes, the HIG almost certainly will have to do this.
Okay, then I widthdraw my first claim - that the width wouldn't be constant.
That leaves the second - that toolbars look nicer without text.

> > Give an example of a KDE app that should show icons + text.
> Kontact for example. Some friends of mine use Kmail and they thing that
> it's difficult to recognize the "reply", "forward" and "receinve mail". Are
> the icon bad? I don't think so, I agree with your option number "1" below:
>
> "1. No matter how good our artists are, and no matter for how long and how
> hard they try, some icons just cannot *become* good enough to be useful in
> the absence of text."
Why should "forward" and "receive mail" (called "check mail in", actually) be
on the toolbar anyway?
- only secretaries forward often
- only people on very low bandwidth check mail in manually
Both are minorities, and we don't put icons used only by minorities on the
toolbar, right?
Now can you give a new example?

> > Who signifies "Shared Files" with the Earth in a box
> > instead of a sheet of paper in a hand?
> Ok, it's a bad icon, but it has text so it's easy to understand.
Exactly. If it was good, it wouldn't need text to be easy to understand.

> Anyway, in case of the text "Shared files" is not self explanatory, after
> the user  visites that button he can remember the text "Shared files" easier
> than remember an icon.
Agreed, but the gain in easiness is less than the loss in
beauty.

> Note that users commonly use various apps, and it's
> not easy to remeber that action asociated to each icon in each app.
That's the reason apps share icons: if eMule used a sheet of paper in a hand
for "Shared Files", this would be user friendly, seeing as Windows Explorer
uses the same icon for the concept.
If you look around KDE, you'll see hardly any icons that are used by just 1
app, and those which are mostly shouldn't be.

> Programmers are more advanced users and have no problem
> to use an app with not very descritive icons or bad default settings.
So the default settings of apps used only by programmers should be bad just
because they have no problem with it?