Better default toolbar setting

Stefan Monov logixoul at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 15:35:40 CEST 2006

> > > Upss, IMHO this toolbar wates too much space. Konqueror doesn't need a
> > > so long navigation bar in a common 1024x768 monitor.
> > >
> > > In a web or file browser the "Back", "Home", etc buttons don't need
> > > text to describe them, they actions are obvious.
> > You mean some toolbuttons should have text and some shouldn't, on the
> > same toolbar? Now that would be hideous. + users wouldn't know why this
> > is so.
> No, I suggest that some apps should show icon + text and others apps not.
Give an example of a KDE app that should show icons + text.

> All the people with a computer know how to use eMule.
Funny, I've never tried it.

> I'd like to know if they could use Emule so easy if the program
> doesn't show so big and labeled icons in the top
> ("Search", "Trafic", "Shared"...).
If the eMule icon designer had artistic competency superior to than that of a
dead hedgedog, this wouldn't be a problem. I mean, who stuffs a mule into
half of the icons? Who signifies "Shared Files" with the Earth in a box
instead of a sheet of paper in a hand?

> So, my question is (and I don't know the response):
> Should all the KDE apps show the toolbar icons in the same way? since they
> are many kind of applitations, should of all them show the same icon size
> and text/no-text below the icons?
Not necessarily. But of course we want them to, unless there is a strong
reason to the contrary.

> Note that there is not the same a KDE program for programing code
> (Kdevelop, Quanta, Kate) than a KDE program to connect to BIttorrent or
> Donkey network. And the kind of user are very different.
The KDevelop users and the KTorrent users intersect, and therefore consistency
is desirable.

> > > What Konqueror doesn't need are 3 icons to choose the view mode, why
> > > not a simple icon to choose between "icon view" and "list view".
> > To get *any* novices to change their Konq view, we need to make it a
> > single-click action. Two buttons, then.
> > And we need one more - "preview view". See Dolphin:
> > http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=40491
>  I prefer Konqueror
I don't care, I'm just demonstrating "preview view".

> there is not an address box
Yes, there is. Click on the arrow button on the left of the navigation bar.

> ...in that mockup.
It's an app, not a mockup.
;-)

> > > But if the icon appear alone they should be very very explanatory, and
> > > not always they are so.
> > Are you saying that icons can't possibly be *made* explanatory enough?
> > Or just that icons are *currently* not explanatory enough?
> I don't know, note that I'm a KDE user since many years. But I speak about
> new people in KDE who are not use to the icons of KDE. Sorry, I can't
> suggest if an icon is enough explanatory or not.
You misunderstood. Here's the situation:

You said "icons are not always very explanatory". This may mean two things:

1. No matter how good our artists are, and no matter for how long and how hard
they try, some icons just cannot *become* good enough to be useful in the
absence of text.

2. Some of the icons we have in KDE 3.5.4 are not good enough to be useful in
the absence of text, but with a long and hard effort by good artists, they
can *become* such.

So, which one did you mean? 1 or 2?