Is KDE really usable?

Vladislav Blanton vblanton at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 17:51:00 CEST 2006

Well put, Kimmo S. Thank you for you thought out response.

Konqueror's hard-to-replicate crashes shouldn't be the issue at hand, but
rather a re-thinking of how Konqueror(/KDE) will better serve the users. I
am aware that there have been many topics and posting on this topic and it
is a goal for KDE4 to be more "usable" and sport a holistic and employed
HIG. Personally, I am excited that these type of discussions have now been
commonplace in the kde mailing lists. Hurrah!

Vlad

On 10/24/06, Kimmo Sundqvist <kimmo.sundqvist at mbnet.fi> wrote:

> On Monday 23 October 2006 00:43, Lex Hider wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the feed back. The most appropriate action to take is to file
> > bugs for the problems that you find with KDE.
>
> My two cents on this.
>
> The name of this mailing list has a some kind of holistic ring to it. "If
> there is something wrong or odd in the whole KDE, on the overall KDE
> experience, but you can't put your finger on it exactly, then this is the
> list to discuss things out and find names for problems."
>
> The reusable component architecture in KDE is really considered one of its
> strongest selling points. It has to do with power, meaning what the users
> are
> able to do with it. But it is also easy to forget the user experience in
> all
> those possibilities.
>
> I recently used OS X for a couple of minutes. Compared to Kubuntu, what I
> felt
> using it was the level of integration. OS X Finder feels like one well
> thought out piece. It feels powerful because everything is easily
> accessible,
> and the user feels that he can try things out and not do anything damaging
> or
> end up in a situation where it is hard to get back.
>
> Rule: the user should be encouraged to try things out.
>
> Rule: whatever user is encouraged to try, he should easily be able to get
> back
> to the exact previous state he was in.
>
> Rule: the things to try out should be easy to classify, compare and place
> into
> a wider context.
>
> Rule: the user should be able to easily enough grasp the limits of his
> possibilities. And he should be able to easily see the possibilities.
>
> It does not matter how much more powerful KDE (konqueror) is under the
> hood.
> It makes me feel helpless, and I use it only when I must to. Having used
> OS X
> only that one single time, and only those ten minutes, it immediately felt
> like I had the thing in my hands, and I could easily find my way around.
>
> KDE is integrated, technically. But user-experience-wise, it is not.
> Neither
> is Gnome. I only use Gnome on my day to day system because it has the
> feeling
> that it gets less in my way. It has less of a personality than KDE. I can
> use
> it if I have to, and so could I use KDE, but Gnome is easier to forget
> when
> you don't want to be aware of it.
>
> Do not say "KDE can do thing x" or "Gnome can do thing y" or "OS X can do
> thing z." Say instead, "desktop a feels easier than desktop b, but desktop
> feels like it is a seamless extension of my thoughts, whereas a and b are
> only different levels of difficulty."
>
> UI design and "putting interesting pieces together" are opposites.
> [...]

=     Vladislav Blanton      =
  =  vblanton at gmail.com  =