What is my name?

Frans Englich englich at kde.org
Tue May 30 01:46:41 CEST 2006

On Sunday 28 May 2006 09:44, Stefan Monov wrote:
> Hee-hee, too bad Kopete's author didn't know about the "no bad associations
> in other languages" guideline -- here, in Bulgaria, Kopete means "buy!", in
> *imperative* form. It also looks *a lot* like "Kopele", which means "son of
> a bitch". Not to mention that here Kexi is sometimes used as a derogatory
> term for a fat guy. >_<

Wow, one can really insult people by mentioning KDE-applications ;-)

> Anyway, I here are my suggestions (feel free to calmly ignore my K-ism,
> Aaron):
>
> Kuerist, Patternist, Kondukt, Konquerier, seeK, oaK, looKfor, investiKate,
> Kolumbus, Kontent, reKuest, FlowtraK, Akcessance, Tranceform, Transq,
> struKt, taKe, xtraKt

Amazingly good names. I think one of those actually will be it. They're all
added to the list. Something like Patternist, simply rocks. Kolumbus, is also
spot on, and it is simple. Konquerier, sounds great, although it's perhaps
too close to Konqueror. investikate and looKfor are also just cool.

Let's look closer on Kolumbus. One thing I started thinking on was this
seventies' TV-series called Columbo, featuring a charismatic detective,
always returning saying "Madame, just one last question...". So, tying back
to Columbo is positive(imho), although I'd say it is a far fetched
association. But who've said that's negative? Perhaps a little 'identity' and
non-mainstream is positive. Perhaps "Kolumbo" also is close enough to
"Columbus" to associate that way. It gives an absolutely excellent entry
point for an interesting website design. So, I'd say Columbo and Kolumbo are
also alternatives.

Wouldn't a K-word work better as a namespace for a KDE library, or am I just
rambling? E.g, all KDE classes are K-prefixed. Dunno, Phonon works fine as a
namespace, apparently.

Amount of google hits on these terms:

Columbus:	10,000,000
Kolumbus:	6,000,000
Columbu:	327,000
Kolumbu:	20,000
Patternist:	740

Patternist has this exotic(as in stranger), intellectual ring to it. It is
also spot on. XSL-T templates contains patterns, and XQuery/XSL-T/XPath deals
with/walks/produces patterns.

I think it is clear Kolumbus is a variant on Columbus. "Aha, it's Columbus but
with K-ification." In this sense, Kolumbu is less "K-ification" and therefore
becomes more of a personal/unique name, perhaps.

Patternist is obviously a bit synthetic; "Kolumbo" is clearly a name, while
Patternist is probably less associated as to be a name, perhaps. Patternist
is a bit long.

I really find this difficult -- perhaps I haven't even looked/discussed the
really good ones yet. I need to sleep on this.

Is there anything "no-no" about any columbus-version or Patternist? What do
people prefer among Stefan's names?

Cheers,

		Frans