Which multimedia framework should I choose?

Wade Olson wade at corefunction.com
Mon May 29 14:34:14 CEST 2006

On 5/29/06, Stefan Monov <logixoul at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm planning to write an application called Katch, used to (manually) write
> down text that's "dictated" to you from an audio file. Since I use xine in
> my day-to-day private multimedia activity, I was at first inclined to use it
> for Katch. However:
> 1. What if the user is in a country where Helix is needed to play MP3s
> legally?
> 2. What if xine turned up to be badly KDE-integrated or whatnot?
> 3. What if, when Phonon came in an year, I'll be forced to (non-trivially)
> rewrite all my code to get it Phononized?

Have you reviewed the Phonon API?

http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api/kdelibs-apidocs/phonon/html/index.html

Or talked to anyone involved with Phonon?  The API should be somewhat
stable, so I don't know that you need to wait a year as you mention in
point 3 above.  Unless you're concerned with distribution right now.

It seems that if you're serious, you're a great candidate for Phonon
(brand-new app, possible multiple backends, etc)  Further, by at least
talking with Phonon folks, you may be helpful to them in learning
about user requirements.