What is my name?

Frans Englich englich at kde.org
Sat May 27 15:38:54 CEST 2006

On Friday 26 May 2006 22:00, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 26 May 2006 11:24, Frans Englich wrote:
> > names, but a broader input of ideas is surely needed. I've attached a
> > "naming kit", which can act as inspiration.
>
> note that a trademark or use in a commercial setting of a word/name only
> really matters if its in the same field.

Ok, good to know.

> > Any ideas, suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated. Don't take
> > the guidelines too seriously, perhaps someone else can improve a name
> > which has a quirk or too. Basically, whatever you think would be a killer
> > name, is probably a great name!
>
> following the science/physics naming theme would be nice if one goes for
> a "fancy" name. but please not a "k-ified" name. those are tired and really
> don't market well at all.

Yeah, I agree. I personally like the name Phonon and Okular, I think they work
nice.

> that said, the XPath/XQuery/XSLT frameworks are built on top of the KHTML /
> WebCore stuff, correct? does it then make sense to tie the name in with
> that set of software?

Yeah, KHTML will link to the library at somepoint, so it's definitely in that
area. The library will likely itself have a dependency on kdelibs/kxmlcore.

However, I don't mind if the name is independent, I don't think it's a
drawback if the name cannot be associated back to Webkit/KHTML. "WebQuest"?
"WebRequest"? Nah, must be something else..

> (btw, kde-quality is an odd place for this discussion =)

Yeah, kde-quality is a bit of strange list already; it's not really about QA,
it is this list which new KDE contributors appear on(imho), nicely started by
Carlos. So, my thought was that I could reach entuastic people. I don't think
one needs a technical background(which people on kfm-devel have, for example)
for suggesting a good name, just a different background so one can suggest
something new.

What list is better? kde-devel?

Cheers,

		Frans