Hello

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri May 19 06:10:25 CEST 2006

On Thursday 18 May 2006 18:52, matt wrote:
> Awesome. Well as far as I've seen on the status of KDE 4, you/they are in
> the porting over process, no? Is there still design/planning development
> happening, because that would be something I would love to contribute to
> until I begin coding

there is always some degree of planning going on. i will caution that it is
pretty rare (though i have seen it happen) that someone who is brand new to
the development side of the project is able to offer design considerations
that are compatible with how things Work(tm) or that haven't already been
suggested (working from a common starting point: the current code base and
the state of the art of the desktop in general) it's common to arrive at
similar ends.

that and due to the meritocratic way the project self-coordinates, it's often
less than effective to attempt to influence through "design" without also
attempting to work on the codebase, artwork, documentation, etc... it's with
contribution that one also finds the ability to influence the project
design-wise. there have been exceptions, but i also don't want you to start
with expectations that lead to you being frustrated =)

the best thing that someone new to the project can do is to gain a familiarity
with the code and the design. and the best way to do that is to start
contributing in some small, even trivial, way. that is, in fact, exactly how
i started: with a single patch to the run dialog that fixed a rather trivial
thing. it was by doing this that i gained an overview of how things work; and
to be honest: i'm still learning =) that's probably in part what keeps me
interested in this meta-project we call KDE ... well, that and the awesome
people and community around it, of course.

however you do decide to get involved is obviously up to you, but simply get
involved. dive in, enjoy the water, it's warm. =)

> (I'd like to work on the Kaffeine project to give KDE
> 4 a decent video player).

they have a devel mailing list where you could start doing so ...

--
Aaron J. Seigo