Obsoleted bookmarks

Iñaki ibc2 at euskalnet.net
Wed Jun 28 17:24:08 CEST 2006

I've been long time compiling documentation in my bookmarks. I always try to
have them tidy with folders and subfolders, but it's becoming impossible. Now
I have a chaos again.

The actual bookmarks system is obsoleted in my opinion. All the browsers use
exactly the same bad system. Because Konqueror allow more than web bookmarks
its system should be better and more powerful than others.

An example of the chaos:

I have many folders and subfolders in the bookmarks:

- Linux
   - Web server
   - FTP Server
   - Mail server
   - DNS server
   - Firewall
   - Backups
   - Network
- KDE
   - Kubuntu
   - KDE bugs
   - Appeal
   - KDE-look

One day I'm browsing the web and find some interesting pages about SFTP server
in Linux, so I need a new subfolder in "Linux" folder called "SFTP server".
If I go to bookmarks menu into "Linux" folder and press "Add new folder" that
new folder is created at the end of the list (after "Network"), but it's
obvious that I prefer to have it just after "FTP server" subfolder.
The only solution is going to "Edit bookmarks" and manually move them.

Why all of this deprecated system? The bookmarks are the only site in KDE
where the documents are stored like a FIFO, that doesn't occur in other
places.

For example, when I'm browsing my home with Konqueror I can press in the top
bar fields to order the files by name, type, date..., I can too filter the
files by a keyword, I can select some of them together and
move/copy/delete...

But the bookmarks is a really static and annoying menu which becomes chaotic
in most cases.

This is a problem in all SO, not just KDE, of course. Let's innovate!

I wonder why so much difference between the file browsing and
bookmarks "browsing". All of them are user documents that should be easily to
use.

So, for KDE4 I propose a radically new bookmarks system:

The bookmarks menu should become a narrow window with a similar content of a
Konqueror file browser in "tree view" mode, so it'd allow the user to edit,
move, remove, copy, group, order the bookmarks easily. It'd work in "on
click" mode.
Yes, the window will be wider than the actual bookmarks menu, but what is the
problem? it wouldn't open new menus for each subfolder, the window could
incorporate navigation buttons (up, back...). And of course, it should have a
search/filter field. I proposed the filter field in this mockup:
  http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=39827
but now I've realized that it's is not enough, bookmarks will be still chaotic
if they use the same obsoleted system as now.

When I've some time I'd like to do a mockup of this idea, but I'd like to know
your opinions about it. Do you consider enough the typical bookmarks system?

Regards.

--
Iñaki