Kmenu thougths

Iñaki ibc2 at euskalnet.net
Thu Jan 26 15:15:06 CET 2006

El Jueves, 26 de Enero de 2006 13:32, Sebastian Röder escribió:
> In my opinion kmenu is quite good in that already with its clear categories
> like "Office, Games, Multimedia, Net". WHY should we move this to a
> seperate category called "programms" when I open up kmenu in 90% of the
> cases to start one of this apps?

I said it, yes, but later I corrected myself.
I agree with you, apps should be found as fast as possible, may be in an own
menu in the panel or anywhere (plasma?).

> The main problems of kmenu in my are to deep hirachies of submenus and
> entries in the "all programs" region that do not realy belong there (e.g.
> help, control center, home).

I agree too, and don't forget some administrative programas that hang from
"Internet" or "System" submenu, as "Kuser", "KwifiManager", "KSysV"...

> And remember installing
> programms is mostly a task for admins and not for users - they don't even
> care what the admin does.

Please, be realized that not all the KDE users work in an office with a system
department. Most users maybe "home users".

Find out that Windows is very used because all the people use it at home (they
can install programas easily and configure the system easily too), so they
don't need training to use Windows in their work.

And of course, a person who lives alone and uses KDE needs to configure the
network, the WI-FI, the printer, fax... or should he pay to a systems
administrador to configure his computer?

> For all the administration tasks I would prefer to just open controlcenter
> (which must be seriously improved, I agree) instead of having 100 entries
> in the kmenu. Same goes for file opening etc.

This is true.

Regards,
   Iñaki