Kmenu thougths

Sebastian Röder sebastian.roeder at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Jan 26 13:32:53 CET 2006

I want to command on the ideas regarding kmenu in KDE4.

In general I think it is not THAT useful to discuss kmenu in detail cause I
expect the new approach plasma will handle the desktop may have serious
impact on how we can handle the kmenu - maybe on the road to KDE4 we can
"rethink" the idea of kmenu from the ground and the current ideas are very
"locked in" by our traditional idea of having a kmenu (simply cause Windows
does it that way?).

All the ideas that got collected here seem to me like there is little
"rethinking" and little explanations WHY the kmenu should transform into a
certain direction. First we would have to clarify what is the PURPOSE of the
kmenu - well, for me it is (one possible) way to start applications. This
should be done as fast as possible and even when I do not exactly know the
name of the app.

In my opinion kmenu is quite good in that already with its clear categories
like "Office, Games, Multimedia, Net". WHY should we move this to a seperate
category called "programms" when I open up kmenu in 90% of the cases to start
one of this apps? What makes things slower, more complicated and is not "to
the point". Such changes should be backed up with good explanations I think.

The main problems of kmenu in my are to deep hirachies of submenus and entries
in the "all programs" region that do not realy belong there (e.g. help,
control center, home).

I second the request for having "logout" and friends NOT moved into a
sub-category. A area "recently INSTALLED apps" doesn't make sense to me - in
how many cases does a user search for a program my install date and can not
find it by the task-driven categories? And remember installing programms is
mostly a task for admins and not for users - they don't even care what the
admin does.

For all the administration tasks I would prefer to just open controlcenter
(which must be seriously improved, I agree) instead of having 100 entries in
the kmenu. Same goes for file opening etc.