New to the list - Suggestion: Book recommendations on the HP

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Sun Jan 22 00:55:10 CET 2006

On Saturday 21 January 2006 23:17, Sebastian Röder wrote:

> Finally I managed to do the first steps in direction to becoming a KDE
> devel ;-)

Welcome :-)

> And here comes my first idea to improve the situation for people who ones
> want to become devels (but are actualy bloody noobs as me): A section with
> book recommendations!

This is a great idea. I completely agree that is you begin learning something
new, a good book can very often be an essential resource. As most of us have
gone through this and have read a variety of books it can only be beneficial
to share this experience.

> I would like to discuss the idea of establishing a book recommendations
> section on the KDE Quality HP (or maybe the wiki, with link to the HP). In
> my opinion this should be categorized by language (En, Ger, F, ...) and
> maybe by sub-categories like C++, QT, KDevelop.

We have http://developer.kde.org/documentation/books/index.html. I would
suggest to extend that page.

> The aim would be to collect book reviews about good and bad books of this
> topic and the extra benefit is that the reviewers can stat whether the
> books are exspecialy good/bad for the KDE devel "path".

Maybe we could even introduce some kind of rating system, so that we could
identify the books which are recommended by many people and see which ones
are only the personal favorites of single individuals.

> I could start to write a review about "C++ lernen und professionell
> anwenden" (German) soon. This seems to be a good book for the German
> audience.

That sounds good. Go ahead ;-)