Too much options in pop-up menus

Eric Kjeldergaard kjelderg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 04:00:35 CET 2006

土曜日 14 1月 2006 23:24、Iñaki さんは書きました:
> El Sábado, 14 de Enero de 2006 02:16, Gregory Hayes escribió:
> > > - Open in new window (what is "open a mp3 file in a new window"???).
> >
> > It actually should do just that ;) Open a multimedia file embedded in a
> > new window. A more context specific description would help to make it
> > less obtuse. Something like "play in an embeded window" or "play in a new
> > tab".

I suppose I'm a minority, but I like opening audio and video files in an
embedded player in a new tab.

> Yes, it could be more appropiate. Any way, how many users want to preview
> an audio file in a new Konqueror tab? is it really usable? should this
> option appear by default with multimedia mimetypes?
>
> > > I know that some of those problems can be solved editing "Actions" for
> > > each
> > > mime type and associated applications, but in fact by default KDE don't
> > > include the best possible configuration in any KDE I've tried.
> >
> > Could you expand on this? I am interested specifically in what you feel
> > would be better defaults. Assuming they make sense, I don't see why we
> > wouldn't change the defaults  in SVN to be more friendly going forward.
>
> For example, I think it should be neccesary an option to configure
> applications to use for ALL audio mimetypes, instead of change each
> mimetype. The same with video and image mimetypes and maybe others.

Isn't this possible at least to the extent where you can choose "embedded
viewer" or "separate viewer"?  Perhaps this doesn't fulfil the exact
requirements, but having one audio (for example) player that can _actually_
play all of the audio formats is less likely (I think) than the individual
formats choosing the "right player" from their "Application Preference Order"
list.  I would definitely agree that an "Application Preference Order" list
at the audio (as our example) level would be a nice feature as I'd almost
always rather use embedded kmplayer than noatun in cases where both work.  (I
am used to the keybindings, and it's a pain to have to think of the
keybindings for a player that seldom gets used.) ((No offense to the people
who make noatun, I just learnt mplayer keybindings first.))

> By default, for example, I suggest the following:
<snipped as it would break my usual browsing behaviour>

--
The signature is a location used to give a personalised feel to each E-mail
without having to personalise each E-mail.