Looking for a project

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Mon Jan 2 20:56:23 CET 2006

On Monday 02 January 2006 02:42 am, Jared Greenwald wrote:
> I'm looking for a project to put in some time on.  I've got C/C++ and
> scripting (*sh,perl,php,etc.) experience.  I have some limited free
> time (after putting the kiddies to bed and all that) that I can devote
> to some hacking.
>
> Any and all suggestions are welcome - though I reserve the right to be
> choosy.  :)
I think it is best to work on an application that you are using (or would use,
except for <insert issue>). That gives you motivation that is the (IMHO) real
key to the wonder of collaborative software development.

It also depends on how much time you can spend. If it is likely to be a bit
patchy, then perhaps working on small bug fixes (from http://bugs.kde.org)
can be a good way to get the "KDE development mindset" - you'll end up
reading a lot of different code, and we can never bug-fix enough.

If you are more of the orderly sort, then perhaps some porting work (in the
KDE4 libraries or applications) or fixing API documentation or writing unit
tests might be more your thing. If you like crypto (or want to learn more
about it), I'd love some help with this on QCA :-)

Anyway, have a look around, try a few things out (e.g. try building from SVN -
instructions on http://developer.kde.org), and see what works for you.

Brad