Looking for a project

Gregory Hayes syncomm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 17:34:09 CET 2006

Jared,

Welcome! There are a number of projects to get started on, however there is
a good way to get a decent overview and get your feet wet while you choose.
In particular, I am referring to porting KDE to QT4. If you choose to start
here, first set up a development environment using the instructions  at:

http://quality.kde.org/develop/cvsguide/buildstep.php

and

http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+4+with+kdesvn-build

Then start looking through kdebase (recommended) or another module for the
string Q3 (ex. "find ./kdebase -name "*.c*" -exec grep -H Q3 {} \; | grep -v
svn"). Once you find some occurrences, go to
http://doc.trolltech.com/4.1/porting4.html and figure out how to port them
to the new API. Then when you get a line or two ported and compiling, send
an "svn diff" to the kde-core-devel mailing list.

Just poking through the code like this will give you a good idea of the
mechanics of Qt/KDE and possibly help you find that really kewl project to
get started on!

Greg
-