Framed views (was: A look at GNOME 2.14, comparison to KDE)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 21 23:22:50 CET 2006

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 14:11, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 21. Februar 2006 18:23, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> > and still it's a hack! it would be really nice to allow one to define how
> > the widget provided by a KPart should frame and otherwise present itself.
> > something for KDE4, perhaps?
>
> And while thinking about this please take into account with multiple parts
> it would be more than nice to have the currently focused part graphically
> tagged. E.g. with a frame in the highlighting color :P

the entire way we visually present views in konq needs to be revisited at some
point. they don't communicate the active view when there is more than one (as
you note above), they don't note that it's read-only for documents where a
read/write part exists (e.g. vising a text file) or a way to switching
quickly to editing the file (aside from right-clicking on it), there's no set
area to show metadata/summary information, etc....

> Or am I the only one who does not know which of the views in a splitted
> konqueror has really the focus? No, the led does not do it for me... :(

there is the greying of the inactive views, but yeah, it's really not enough.

--
Aaron J. Seigo