A look at GNOME 2.14, comparison to KDE

Janne Ojaniemi janne.ojaniemi at nbl.fi
Mon Feb 20 21:31:56 CET 2006

On Monday 20 February 2006 22:11, Christian Loose wrote:

> Old version.
>
> http://www.tuxmachines.org/gallery/kde35/metabar?full=1
> (1280x1024)

The lines and borders are still there. Thanks for proving my point :).

> Well Konqueror also has more toolbar buttons. ;-)
> IMHO the separator between home and reload could be removed.

Why not remove some of the buttons instead?

> It's framed because you can have several frames in one Konqueror
> instance, but I agree that it could be less ugly.

It could be ALOT less ugly. And those frames are not needed, even if you have
several content-areas. Note: I'm not talking about the difference between the
content-area and the background of the app-window. I'm talking about the
line(s) that exist between them.

> It's a splitter (qt:qsplitter). It allows you to change the size of the
> sidebar. It's pretty useful for deep directory trees.
> Can you change the sidebar width in Nautilus?

I'm not talking about the splitter. I'm talking about the frames (same as the
ones around the content-area). Notice the dark lines on both sides of the
handle where you can adjust the size of the sidebar. Those are IMO not
needed.

> Part of the frame. See above.

And we don't need those frames, lines and borders. They are ugly, plain and
simple.

> Sure. Every line edit and combobox has a frame around it. Even in GNOME:
> http://www.gnome.org/~davyd/gnome-2-14/images/nautilus-search.png

IMO that doesn't look as bad is it does on KDE. Blue seems nicer than gray.
But still, nice frame or not, no frame at all would be nicer and simpler.

> Use "Text under Icons" and you will also have a lot of space between the
> icons.

Why are the icons so cramped together by default?