Joining the KDE team

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Mon Feb 20 10:34:38 CET 2006

Hi Hans,

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Hans Lombard wrote:
> I'm a student from South Africa, with a good knowledge of Qt (and
> recently Qt4). I've checked out the kdelibs and kdebase (from
> trunk/KDE), compiled and ran it. I believe this is where KDE4
> development takes place?

Yes; trunk isn't guaranteed to compile on any given day, and kdebase
prefers to compile against a kdelibs snapshot, but you've probably
discovered all that already.

> Since I'm studying and got some free time on my hands, I think this is
> the perfect opportunity to get involved with the KDE development.

Great!

> Unfortunately I haven't got alot of experience in KDE development
> (I've always done pure Qt), is it vital to have a good knowledge of
> kde-specific development beforehand?

No; most of the code isn't rocket science. You might have to do a bunch of
searching in the APIDOX though.

> If not, where can I start (apart from Junior Jobs)?

#kde4-devel on irc.kde.org

"KDE4 Goals" on wiki.kde.org

There's some amount of busywork involved in keeping the other modules
up-to-date wrt. the KDE4 libs.

Right now for KDE4 don't worry about applications.

[ade]