Kde Websites need loads of updates

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 9 19:52:36 CET 2006

(Please keep the mailing list in the loop, so that anyone else reading can
follow the discussion, and add relevant points).

> well, from the doc team - i would like to know some information about what
> they would like from video based help - such as whether they want it to be
> auto updated screenshots with notes, or complete video. Whether they want
> just the doc team to be able to post tutorials, or anybody (like a wiki).
> Just want some information about how you feel, and what you want from video
> tutorial.

Bearing in mind that this is just my personal opinion:

For video to be included in the official KDE docs, we'd keep the same
procedure as for any content - it has to be committed by someone with a SVN
account, although of course anyone could produce one and ask for it to be
included.

For video that is to go on a website, I have no preference.

The way I'd envisage video tutorials fitting into the docs would be as an
occasional feature that could show how a feature works, or how something can
be set up, when a verbal description and a normal screenshot aren't the best
way to explain. I'd like them to literally be *part* of the docs, ie to
appear in an appropriate place in the HTML output, just like normal
screenshots do now. Of course, that brings in the issue of what to do in
situations when embedded flash/video can't be shown (non-flash browsers, PDF
output), but we can deal with that later.

Regards,
Philip