discuss: consistency in KDE GUI

Iñaki ibc2 at euskalnet.net
Sat Dec 23 14:38:10 CET 2006

El Sábado, 23 de Diciembre de 2006 14:28, Big O escribió:

> > > Actually it does deal with files. Attachments are files. The mail
> > > messages you read and compose are files as well.
> >
> > I don't thing so: for common users a "mail" is not a "file". And the menu
> > names should be understood by whole people.
>
> Given that Thunderbird, Apple's Mail,  Outlook, and god knows what else
> uses a file menu, I don't think whole people will have much problem with
> the whole "File" menu paradigm.

These programs don't allow writing the contact entries in a LDAP server, just
reading. Should Kontact leave allowing full access to LDAP because it?

Anyway, I don't consider this point so important, in fact it's not so wrong to
call the menu entry "File".

> > PD: A mail is not a file necesarily. If the format is mbox then
> > a "mailbox" file contains ALL the mails in a single file.
>
> in a what? file?
> OK now I'm just being facetious, I'll stop.
> The point I was attempting to make is the File menu is appropriate even.
> KMail deals with files, saves files and on occasion will even eat files.
> But that's only during the betas :-)

The point here is that most applications have a "File" menu entry even if they
don't deal with "real" files. And the users are used to it, so no problem.

Regards.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo