KDE4 and KIO Fuse

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Apr 12 06:28:23 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 22:38, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 April 2006 14:50, Iñaki wrote:
> > Do you mean that you can use kioslaves with non KDE apps to modify docs
> > directly in the server???
>
> ah, you're talking about non-kde apps only? well, in that case, yeah, you're
> screwed. how that's kde's fault / problem is beyond me though.
>
> yes, an OS can provide FUSE or some other making-vfs-look-local solution but
> that's an OS level thing.
>
> > > not over smb://, however.
> >
> > I didn't note differences between kioslaves:
>
> sorry, i though you were referring to the read-only smb slave...

You seem to have misunderstood even more than just the point about the
smb slave... Because the proposal is, to give kio-fuse more weight by
making it a more prominent member of the KIO family: because with its
help, all non-KDE applications (and even commandlines) can access all
remote resources just like KDE apps can.

> > - Using KDE apps I can use all the kioslaves perfectly.
> > - Using non KDE apps I can use no kioslaves.

Here the original mail assumes that everybody knows:

   "- With kio-fuse, even for non-KDE apps I can now use kioslaves

> a patient goes to the doctor and says, "doc, it hurts when i do this" and the
> proceeds to wrap his arm behind his back and sit on it. the doctor says, "so
> don't do that!"

A patient goes to the doctor and says: "Doc, I was born without arms,
but here is this brilliant artificial pair of limbs that lets me do
almost 70% of what people with grown arms can do, and they cost almost
nothing. I want them!" The doctor says: "No, I don't do that. Stay what
you are, cripple!"