KDE4 and KIO Fuse

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Tue Apr 11 14:42:44 CEST 2006

Am Dienstag, 11. April 2006 10:20 schrieb Hans:
> On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 09:37 +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 7. April 2006 21:27 schrieb Iñaki:
> > > Does anyone know something new about it for KDE4?
> >
> > As KDE is not specific to Linux but Fuse is, I don't think we will rely
> > on it too much. We might improve the support for it, but it won't become
> > a core component to my understanding.
> >
> > Greetings, Stephan
>
> We had a similar debate on a local list about the ability for Linux
> users to adhoc mount shares (being SMB or other) on the fly.
>
> This is something that WILL hinder acceptance from the broader (other OS
> users) community in using Linux as a whole, not just KDE.
>
> The fact that KDE can adhoc mount (using kio as I understand) is great,
> but Linux as a system rarely just consists of KDE.
> Is there some middle ground - maybe external calls to something like
> FUSE to make shares available to other apps or at-least something?

There is actually support for mounting smb. The problem is that only root can
mount and as such you need to have this configured by your admin and most
distributions do not allow that yet. But it's the same with fuse - as long as
the distribution/admin does not present that option, KDE can't make use of
it.

Greetings, Stephan