KDE4 and KIO Fuse

Hans hvdmerwe at sunspace.co.za
Tue Apr 11 10:20:12 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 09:37 +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Freitag, 7. April 2006 21:27 schrieb Iñaki:
> >
> > Does anyone know something new about it for KDE4?
>
> As KDE is not specific to Linux but Fuse is, I don't think we will rely on it
> too much. We might improve the support for it, but it won't become a core
> component to my understanding.
>
> Greetings, Stephan

We had a similar debate on a local list about the ability for Linux
users to adhoc mount shares (being SMB or other) on the fly.

This is something that WILL hinder acceptance from the broader (other OS
users) community in using Linux as a whole, not just KDE.

The fact that KDE can adhoc mount (using kio as I understand) is great,
but Linux as a system rarely just consists of KDE.
Is there some middle ground - maybe external calls to something like
FUSE to make shares available to other apps or at-least something?

Just my 2c worth.

E-mail Disclaimer
http://www.sunspace.co.za/emaildisclaimer.htm