new contributor

Frank Osterfeld frank.osterfeld at gmx.de
Wed Sep 14 01:11:21 CEST 2005

Hi Shane,

On Tuesday 13 September 2005 22:20, Shane Browning wrote:
> i'm looking for a project to contribute to. i'm currently in college
> working on my Computer Science degree. i'm proficient with c++ and have
> recently begun to check out QT. i'm currently learning Java and Open GL. If
> there are any projects available that i can contribute to i would love the
> opportunity.

Great, help is always welcome :-)

If you want to code, there are several ways to contribute. Some notes:

As the core modules are currently ported to Qt4, trunk/KDE in SVN is majorly
broken and not a good place to start with KDE development.

If you want to help fixing bugs, you can check out the KDE 3.5 branch
(branches/KDE/3.5). It is in feature and message freeze for the upcoming 3.5
release, so it's time for bug hunting.

If you want to work on new features, it's better right now to work on
applications outside of the core modules, like applications from KOffice or
extragear, or any other KDE app (see kde-apps.org).

My personal suggestion to get started with KDE development is to choose an
application you actually use and like to improve, as this is more motivating
than being told by others what to work on. Maybe a small and not too complex
one (Konqueror or KMail don't qualify here I'm afraid), get the source, and
start to play with it. Fix bugs, add a small feature that is missing, polish
the GUI...  Contact the author/the mailing list and send your patches (if you
plan to spend more time on something, you better ask _before_ starting).
That is a good way to get used to Qt/KDE without having to master all aspects
and technologies at once. If the code you work on has a reasonable quality,
you can learn a lot just by reading and modifying it. Also it's pretty
rewarding when your changes are accepted and part of the next release.

Frank