System Wide Desktop Search?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Oct 30 20:59:43 CET 2005

On Sunday 30 October 2005 11:45, raid517 wrote:
> I was led to believe it allowed for live real time monitoring of system
> wide file changes - which search facilities like this could use to
> provide live real time searching.

this is what inotify does, yes. when a file or its metadata is modified in
some manner inotify can let your app know about that without having to poll
or otherwise do continuous scans. however, a search system still needs to
index, colate and contextualize the file(s) when it receives inotify
event(s). in that sense it's an incremental improvement over what we already
have with things like fam.

> the entire OS. With storage capacities ever growing, it is vital that
> files and folders (and other items) can be accessed both instantly and
> intuitively.

agreed

> So it is certainly at least a little encouraging if KDE
> developers are now beginning to talk about this seriously.

some of us have been actively researching and working on necessary bits and
pieces for over a year.

> I am simply very
> keen to see it compete and even exceed the very best that Apple and MS
> can come up with.

same here =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo