System Wide Desktop Search?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Oct 30 19:08:04 CET 2005

On Saturday 29 October 2005 23:12, raid517 wrote:
> Regrettably however there has been little movement at all on the KDE
> front in this regard.

probably because we're hoping not to do it half-assed and are facing the
upcoming kde4 which will allow us actually provide these facilities

> My wish for KDE is to see true desktop search functionality embedded
> directly into the core of Konqueror - in a similar way to the way Apple
> plan to make Spotlight a core component of their finder.

this is on the kde4 plan

> My proposal is that kfind should in due course be considered obsolete in
> it's current form and should be replaced by exactly this kind of system
> wide desktop search support

agreed

> This is important for a number of reasons. First this is the direction
> in which the kernel is going, so clearly the kernel developers feel that
> Inotify is the future.

what, besides having better notification of file changes, does inotify have to
do with desktop search? and remember that kde needs to be portable =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo