Hi, new volunteer arrived

Albert Astals Cid tsdgeos at terra.es
Sun May 29 23:26:51 CEST 2005

A Diumenge 29 Maig 2005 14:25, Stephan Eberle va escriure:
> Hello,
Hi

> I'm very interested in getting involved in KDE or related software
> projects.
>
> I have 10+ years of development experience, mostly with Windows. Now I'm
> looking for a new proving ground. :)
> To get a "feeling" of KDE I'd like to start with translations
> (English-German/German-English) or something similar, because at this
> time I'm not yet familiar enough with KDE/QT.
>
> But, I'm willing to learn! :)
>
> So, if you have some work to do for me, just mail me or tell where to
> apply for a project.
Well, you don't need to apply anywhere.
KDE development works like that:
 - You find somewhere where you want to work
 - You contact the mantainer of the program you want to work to see if someone
is working on the same as you and if he will be willing to use your code
(chances are no and yes)
 - You download the necessary parts from the kde svn, that means kdelibs and
the module the program you want to work on resides. It is much better to
download trunk than branches/3.4 because branches/3.4 can be really old in
some cases. If you download everything from svn the merrier :-D
 - You do some coding mantaing coding style of the file (KDE has not a global
coding style so mantain the coding style of the file you are coding in)
 - You do "svn diff > myFirstKDEPatch" and send it to the maintainer or
apropiate mailing list
 - When you have bugged the maintainer enough, he'll suggest to apply for a
svn account so you can do the changes without bugging him.
 - Then you ask sysadmin at kde.org for a svn account

And then the cycle continues.

P.S: If you can not contact the mantainer (because some apps don't have one)
just ask on #kde-devel for someone to review and apply your patch

Albert