Hi, new volunteer arrived

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun May 29 21:21:18 CEST 2005

Stephan Eberle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm very interested in getting involved in KDE or related software
> projects.
>
> I have 10+ years of development experience, mostly with Windows. Now I'm
> looking for a new proving ground. :)
> To get a "feeling" of KDE I'd like to start with translations
> (English-German/German-English) or something similar, because at this
> time I'm not yet familiar enough with KDE/QT.
>
> But, I'm willing to learn! :)
>
> So, if you have some work to do for me, just mail me or tell where to
> apply for a project.

Hi Stephan:

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for someone to e-mail you telling you
how to help.  If you want to join the project, you will have to work at it.

You can go here:

http://developer.kde.org/joining/

This is titled: "Join the Developers" but it doesn't say how to join the
project.  So, I can't really tell you how to join the developers -- I
have been trying to figure it out for some time.

If you want to participate in the KDE project, you should have KDE built
from source installed as your desktop.  The source for this should be
the current SVN of the latest "branch" (e.g. 3.4).  You should also have
  a way to run the current "trunk".

I also suggest that you read the KDE guidelines:

http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/basics/index.html

These are the current guidelines.  The theory is that you should follow
them, but many developers don't.

We are also working on new ones:

http://www.kde.org/areas/guidelines/html/

which, IIUC, would be for KDE 4.0.0.

After you have built the current branch, you might take a look at what I
am working on:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tyrerj/kde/Improvements01.tar.bz2

and see if I have made any stupid mistakes.

Also, the KDEPrint project needs a maintainer.  See the e-mail that I
forwared: 05/27/05 18:44

--
JRT