HiColor Icon Theme

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun May 29 01:20:41 CEST 2005

Nathan Olberding wrote:
> Have you tried asking Jonathan directly if he's doing this?

Yes, I e-mailed him [05/20/05 12:46] personally in addition CC's of
other e-mails.  He started the thread on kde-core-devel where he said
that he would be moving the Crystal icons (unchanged) to HiColor.

He seemed to think that it was better to use the unchanged Crystal icons
than to use the old KDE 2 HiColor icons.  Obviously, I think that the
opposite is true.  We could make new HiColor icons or "uncrystallized"
Crystal icons to use as HiColor, but these options are more work.  So,
until someone will do that work, the KDE 2 icons are the best solution.
  I also note that some of the Crystal icons are actually "crystallized"
version of the old HiColor icons (e.g. kivio [which *is* one of the
icons directly at issue]).

> I agree with your solution (well, I don't think it's a big deal,

It wasn't really a big deal till FreeDesktop published a spec requiring
an unthemed icon theme -- HiColor -- and GNOME provided HiColor icons to
conform to the proposed spec -- the packages: "hicolor-icon-theme" and
"gnome-icon-theme".

> but obviously there's a proper solution to this, so we should use
> that solution, as you suggest), but I wonder if this isn't a lighter
> issue than your wording makes it sound like.

Obviously, if I think that it is my job, it is a bigger issue to me than
it is to you. :-)  And, you are correct, I do tend to get too concerned
about things -- I do tend to be a perfectionist or, more to the point
(and not really the same) I like to do things correctly -- things done
correctly are easier to maintain.

--
JRT