Quality Guides up to date!

Michael Pyne pynm0001 at comcast.net
Tue May 24 01:12:40 CEST 2005

On Monday 23 May 2005 03:13 pm, Carlos Leonhard Woelz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Quality site is 100% up to date. In special, the "managing KDE
> sources with subversion" [1] and "building KDE from source step by step"
> [2] guides have been rewritten for svn, the new repository structure and
> mpyne's kdesvn-build use, instead of kde-build. There are instructions
> for building apps from extragear, kdereview and playground as well.
>
> Testers welcome!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carlos Woelz
>
> [1] http://quality.kde.org/develop/cvsguide/managestep.php
> [2] http://quality.kde.org/develop/cvsguide/buildstep.php

The guide looks great, thanks!

Just a note about kdesvn-build.  Its intent is certainly to "build everything"
for you.  However, you can use it to build only a module as well, if you
wanted.  All you have to do is remove modules from the .kdesvn-buildrc.  So,
I think it may be appropriate for single module use as well.

Also, in the recommended kdesvn-buildrc, you have cxxflags and make-options
both empty.  Which is fine, and works well (and I guess now I must make sure
it always works. ;) ), but you may want to make a comment to the effect that
they're empty on purpose.

Also, the description on the critical modules gives kdesvn-build more credit
than it's due at this point.  If qt-copy, arts, kdesupport, or kdelibs fails,
kdesvn-build will by default keep truckin' along, allowing every other module
to fail too.

I could default the stop-on-failure option to true for those modules, but the
only time that the build really, really couldn't continue is if the critical
modules hadn't been installed before.  Normally kdelibs failing is OK since
it installed fine yesterday. ;)

Other than that the guide looks very helpful, and is certainly more
descriptive than I would have been.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne