Konqueror CRASH 3.4.1 [The need for better quality control]

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Mon May 23 14:16:55 CEST 2005

Am Montag 23 Mai 2005 10:06 schrieb Brad Hards:
> On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:26 pm, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > > But we just don't have enough man power to wait for anything like
> > > that.
> >
> > Please try to understand my concept in more depth.  My idea isn't about
> > someone else doing the testing (unless that person is an assistant to
> > the maintainer).  The idea is that when changes are made that then
> > testing should immediately follow in response to the changes.
> Are you writing the tests? If not, then please keep the noise down. You cannot
> impose process on a free software development community such as KDE, no
> matter how loud or how long you scream, nor no matter how right you insist
> that you are, nor no matter what names you quote or what figures you can come
> up with. You can only inspire from within, by example, by sweat.  This isn't
> a business, and it isn't industry, and it works a bit different to what you
> might expect if you don't understand the group dynamics.

And let me add this here: I see little change in the people doing the actual work
on kde-bugs-dist at kde.org/bugs.kde.org than those that did it before kde-quality
existed. If we can't even get volunteers to help with the basic parts, I see no gain
in shouting about needing more work to do. E.g. this very bug was reported about
a dozen times with backtraces and it took about a month to get the maintainer of that
code notified it's such a grave problem. One day later it was fixed.

Just because bugs.kde.org is overwhelmed by users doing QA and we're having too
little people sorting out the mess ;(

Greetings, Stephan