Article: My first 48 hours enduring Ubuntu 5.04

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon May 9 01:30:37 CEST 2005

I noticed this over on Footnotes:

  My first 48 hours enduring Ubuntu 5.04
  http://mpt.net.nz/archive/2005/04/11/ubuntu

    "It is the first Linux-based system I have encountered that is
    tolerable enough for me to use for everyday work. That is a great
    achievement. But Ubuntu is still rife with design flaws, some of them
    severe.

    "This is not a review. Nor is it a list of the most important
    design flaws in Ubuntu. It is merely the flaws I have noticed, in the
    programs I?ve been using, over the past two days. Many of these flaws
    probably exist in other Gnome-based systems, and some of them also
    exist in Microsoft Windows and/or Mac OS."

Some of them are insanely trivial complaints, such as:
"misspelled 'shut down' as 'shutdown'", but a lot of this could be
interesting for us KDE fans, like:

  "There is no indication of whether an item in the top panel is
  intended for use with the left mouse button (such as the 'Network
  Monitor'), the right mouse button (such as the rebelliously
  sentence-case 'Modem monitor'), or neither (such as the 'Battery
  Charge Monitor'). It's like the Windows system tray mess all over
  again."

Enjoy!

--
-bill!